"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

This review is spoiler free!!

I'm just not sure what to think about this one... The first quarter of the book was absolutely amazing! I'm not going to give much away about it because I think the beauty of the beginning of this book is that you really don't know what the hell is going on.

But then the middle part of the book was just...boring. Typical post-apocalyptic plot. Which was especially disappointing because the beginning was so awesome. The beginning focused mostly on Melanie, who was the most interesting and well-developed character in this book. In the middle we branched out to get perspectives from the other characters. And the other characters were just kinda boring. And I had a hard time emotionally connected to any of the characters besides Melanie. I think the 3rd person POV was to blame there, but also the writing mostly focused on actions and rarely on emotions. I like a little more emotion in my books.

But then the end! Wow, the end was amazing and not at all what I expected and just totally different from any post-apoc book I've read! I thought about giving up on this book around halfway through, but now I'm glad I stuck with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment