"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Outshine by Nola Decker

This review is spoiler free!!

This is an enjoyable, light-hearted book. I really liked the characters in this book. Gabe is a human lie-detector and Jessa has super-human strength. I wasn't sure about Gabe at first. His brother goes missing and he's happy about it. I love my little sister so I thought that obviously Gabe is a douche. Well, turns out his brother is pretty awful. Like really awful. 
I reminded myself I shouldn't feel happy that my brother was missing. Even though yesterday he glued all the pages of my math book together. And, last week he poisoned my fish, spilled gasoline on my favorite sweatshirt, and made a crowd laugh by ramming my head into the rear end of the stone mascot outside the gym.
And he gets even worse when we actually meet him. So I think Gabe was probably pretty justified in not wanting him back. As a human lie-detector, Gabe has a heightened sense of morality and Jessa's is...well, a little under-developed. With her super strength, she kinda enjoys violence a bit too much. So they compliment each other well. 

The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense and isn't very scientifically sound. But I'm okay with that. But if you're the type that needs everything to be well-explained, then this might not be your book. But it is fun and the characters are interesting and the romance is pretty sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment