"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Cut Both Ways by Carrie Mesrobian

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 1/5 stars

This book sounded so damn good, but it ended up being rather problematic.

1) Will felt so disconnected from everything. There was no emotion at all, even though emotional things happened. It felt like he was in a fog, which just made no sense. It made the book incredibly boring, even when things happened.

2) Where is the plot??? Seriously, what was the point of this book? Books are still supposed to have actual plots, right? Where there's some sort of story, with a climax and a resolution? This book had none of that. There was nothing. Just a jumble of things happening, without any reason. And the end. Ugh, seriously, the end isn't an end. Nothing is resolved. At all. Why did I waste my time when I get nothing at the end?

3) The painfully stereotypical portrayal of bisexuality. I was so excited for this book because there needs to be more discussion of bisexuality. Bis are horribly ignored in the lgbt community and in society at large. I thought this book would help fill that void, not play up existing stereotypes. The stereotype of bisexuals is that they are promiscuous - it's impossible for them to be in a monogamous relationship, because they always want both genders. Btw, while I'm totally cool with polyamory, not all bisexuals are unable to monogamous. This book plays into this stereotype in a damaging way. Will constantly cheats on Brandy with Angus, because he just wants them both so badly. And that's another thing - both relationships seem to have no actual foundation rather than sex. Casual sex is cool and all, but being bi (or gay or straight for that matter), isn't all about sex. 

1 comment:

  1. Aw no :( I was very much looking forward to this book! So sad you didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete