"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Friday, February 13, 2015

The Distance Between Lost and Found by Kathryn Holmes

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 4/5 stars

This was a good contemporary standalone that doesn't have a heavy romance plot - there is a very light romance, but it's not central to the plot. Most contemporaries seem to revolve around romance - which, admittedly, I like, but it's nice to take a break. This is more like a survival story with a bullying background.

This book worried me in the beginning because I hadn't realized it was a about a girl on a church retreat. once I read that part, I was afraid it would be too religiously themed for me. But I think it struck a good balance of exploring religious ideas without preaching too much. After being lost in the woods for days, Hallie understandably starts to question god and her new friend Rachel isn't sure she believes at all. While Hallie eventually accepts god in the end, it doesn't feel preachy - it felt honest. This is how she feels and what she believes but she doesn't judge Rachel for questioning it. 

Find it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment