"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 3/5 stars

This book was an important look at bullying. Ashley is bullied by almost everyone at school. Her best friend Matt is usually able to offer a refuge, but even he doesn't believe her half the time. Her mom is awful and just wants Ashley to be "normal." There's a bit of a paranormal aspect to this book: Ashley sees a future version of herself in the mirror. This Older Ashley offers her guidance so that the younger Ashley's life doesn't turn out the same. 

I was really looking forward to this book, but it just kinda fell flat. I know that Ashley was going through a lot of emotional stuff, but I just didn't feel all that much emotion from her. 


But there just aren't enough books that address bullying as well as this book does. So I'd definitely still recommend it, especially for anyone that happens to be going through this type of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment