"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

Half a King

This review is spoiler free!!

This is definitely not my type of book. I decided to read it because Joe Abercrombie is one of my husband's favorite authors and I thought I'd prefer his ya to his adult series. That being said, I actually enjoyed this. I wish the names were easier to pronounce (I know it's silly, but that's one of my major problems with fantasy) and it's a little grittier than I prefer.

But the characters are likable and funny. Even the villains are enjoyable. And there's a lot of character growth, some for the better and some for the worse. And the growth isn't reserved just for the mc - most of the characters are well-developed and grow throughout the book. 

There's a lot of action. Seriously, so much stuff is packed into this book. It's never boring. And it's not predictable. Since I mostly read ya dystopian (which has become incredibly predictable), this was a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment