"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Solitaire by Alice Oseman

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 3/5 stars

In case you're wondering, the blurb lies - this is a love story. Which, btw, I'm totally okay with - I love love stories! And it isn't too romance heavy, but it's definitely there and it's definitely one of, if not the, main storyline in the book. So if you're looking for no romance, look elsewhere.

The best thing about this book for me was the characters. Michael is basically the manic pixie dream boy, which I'm a sucker for. Tori is an uber-introvert. I'm an introvert, but she really takes it to the extreme. In her own words, she's a "pessimist introvert psychopath."

Sometimes I still feel that I might be the only person with a consciousness, like a video game protagonist, and everyone else are computer-generated extras who have only a select few actions, such as "initiate meaningless conversation" and "hug."
Agreed! lol This is a ya novel, so of course she grows throughout the novel.

The plot was pretty boring actually. There's this random group called Solitaire and they're pulling a bunch of pranks in Tori's school. And eventually she decides she wants to figure out who and why. But she doesn't really do a lot of investigative work or anything - the answer basically just falls into her lap.



link to Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment