"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 5/5 stars

I'm not even sure what to say about this book. This is not going to be a long review, because the library didn't have it in kindle format, so it was difficult to take notes, which meant that I didn't take notes... 

I went in expecting a typical ya dystopian. It had all the elements of one, but she did different things with them. Yes, there was the powerful, badass heroine, but she had real flaws (and not the "I just feel so different from everyone" kind of flaws). Yes, there was a kinda/sorta love triangle, but it was not the "there's two totally hot guys that are both in love with me, however will I choose?" kind of triangle. The end was kind of what I expected, but not in the way I expected.

Definitely one of the best dystopians I've read in a while. 


Find it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon

2 comments:

  1. nice to know you loved this one. I've read mixed reviews on this and it saddens me that many are disappointed on this. It sounds like this book is quite flawed but I'm glad you still enjoyed it :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! It seems like the people who didn't like it thought it was too similar to other books. That sort of thing usually doesn't bother me - there's so many stories to tell, even if the setting is similar and the main points are similar, there's still enough differences for me to love it.

      Delete