"I spent my life folded between the pages of books." -Tahereh Mafi

Some of my reviews are normal non-spoilery reviews. But some of reviews contain lots and lots of spoilers to help you (and me!) remember what happened when the next book in the series finally comes out. Both review types are clearly marked.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

This review is spoiler free!!

My rating: 3/5 stars

This book addresses some pretty heavy issues. I'm always a little apprehensive going into a book that deals with something as serious as depression and suicide because it's so difficult to deal with them well. I was especially worried with the blurb on this one - I was afraid that she'd fall in love with with guy and her depression would be magically lifted. But I think this book handled the issue well and I didn't get the feeling that Roman "cured" Aysel - he just unintentionally helped her to see herself in a different way. That being said, I've never been depressed or seriously considered suicide, so the author's depiction may not be realistic. But it felt realistic to me.

However, this book got 3 stars instead of 4 because it just didn't make me feel as many emotions as a book about suicide should. I'm a book emotional person (I don't feel emotions about real people or events, but I cry about fictional characters way too much!), so I feel like I should have at least teared up while reading a book about suicide, but no, nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment